Don't skip a beet!



Beetroot is a difficult vegetable. On one hand, I can barely come up with a decent adjective to describe its taste (raw or cooked) which is really just almost like how mud would taste maybe if one were to eat it. But on the other, I am enticed by its vibrant color and its health benefits, making it a "hard to ignore" item on my groceries list. 

So when I looked at a tall glass of red juice that seemed like its been served straight out of a vampire's breakfast, it was quite hard to convince myself to try it. That's what happened when I ordered a pomegranate and beet juice at a local juice stall last week. But when I took a hesitant sip of it, thinking it would just be like any other vegetable juice I would need to gulp down without trying to acknowledge its taste, I was very surprised at not finding any trace of the taste of beetroot in it. Well, maybe it did add a slight muddy flavor to it, but on the whole it tasted really good. And that's it. Just like that, I found an easy and tasty way to include beetroot into my diet on a weekly basis. Again, with just two ingredients, its hardly a recipe but makes for a delicious health drink. And the biggest bonus? No sugar needed at all!

So the next time you are at the groceries store shopping for vegetables and catch sight of these maroon - black blobs of roots, don't skip a beet! Just buy them and juice them up. You'll thank me later for it. 

Beetroot and Pomegranate Juice

Makes one glass (you can double according to the quantity you want)

1 medium size beetroot
1 big bowl of pomegranate seeds
1 small glass of cold water - optional

The most important thing to keep in mind in this recipe is to get the proportions of the two ingredients right. The sweetness of the pomegranate seeds overpower the muddiness of the beets so they need to be in the 1:2 proportion. 

Blitz both the ingredients in a juicer/mixer till pulpy. Add water accordingly to dilute the juice and blitz again. Adding water is optional if you want a thicker consistency. Filter the pulp out of the juice and pour it into a glass. Serve immediately. 

Comments