Strawberry Banana (N)ice Cream

 If I could ever attach a recipe to the word "Serendipity" it would be THIS strawberry banana (n)ice cream. I have no idea why I have not tried this before and have missed out on so many summers of home made, healthy, fruity desserts that can be made in ten min flat! Oh, all those mangoes and figs and custard apples (sitaphals) that weren't made into such delectable summer desserts! But, its never too late. 

Coming back to the word serendipity. So here goes the story. Just like any food blogger, I got excited and bought a big box of strawberries, all the while imagining the pinterest'y recipes I'd try back home. Day 1 was spent doing research on what I'd make. Day 2 was spent convincing myself I'd nail a good recipe by the weekend. Day 3 and 4 were spent denying its existence. On day 5, I reluctantly opened the box to find a few of the strawberries already aging and guilt set it. I was in despair and needed to remedy the situation immediately. I ate a few of them, made milkshakes with a few others, but I still had a lot more of them at hand. That's when I just decided to chop and freeze them (bananas too), thus buying myself some more time. I forgot about it for 2 days and when the laziness veil lifted, I just put all the frozen fruit into the mixer and prayed to god that my Indian mixie would not break. And what can I say, this was the most serendipitous surprise I have had cooking wise. From zero expectations to this deliciously sweet tarty nice cream, I'll let the pictures do all the talking!


Here's what I did:

Froze 2 cups of chopped strawberries and bananas in a ziplock bag for 2 days. (1 day is enough though)

In a mixer (I used the big jar of my preeti mixer), add half of the frozen strawberries and banana slices, a dash of milk and some sugar/honey to it. Blitz and pulse and blitz and pulse till you have a creamy texture. Don't over blitz as the fruits will turn watery otherwise. I left in a few pieces of fruit chunks to add some texture to the nice cream. 

Repeat with the other half batch of fruits and freeze in a plastic/steel container. As you can see, I used my bread loaf pan. Freeze for at least 6-8 hours. Then scoop out into bowls and serve immediately. Stays in the fridge for 4-5 days.

Summer time, we have our game on!

Love
SSB






Comments