All the light we cannot see




The thing about fiction is, every book irrespective of the story line, has an underlying hope coursing through its pages. The hope of better days to come, the hope of love and the hope of daring to dream the impossible and maybe someday, being able to see it come true. And amidst all the delights and despairs of life, it is this undying hope that humans live on, dream on.  

As a child that's what drew me to fiction. The ability to dare to think beyond what I thought was deserved and handed over to me by fate. To be in constant search of those elusive silver linings. In search of all the light we cannot see.  And to this day, I haven't stopped dreaming. Dreams of the Masterchef apron, the Pulitzer prize announcement and the Nobel prize acceptance speech, all in this lifetime. :) While I may or may not be able to see them come true, it is the possibility of them happening that makes this life worth living.  

"All the light we cannot see" is my first book from the author - Anthony Doerr's list of writings and may mostly become my favorite read for this year. While I admit I scanned the list of the last three years Pulitzer list to pick out this one, this book was like one of those rather shy superstars, who hate to be caught by the paparazzi. Modest in its brief but spectacular in talent. The story is about a blind Parisian girl, orphaned German sergeant, WW II and a possibility of them meeting amidst war torn Europe.   

This book is about hope, about endless possibilities and about survival. Amidst war, separation and human loss. Amidst "some griefs that can never be set right". Saying anything further about this book will be to kill the spirit in which its written. It may have some rough corners, some loose ends and a few missed closures. But isn't it how a book is meant to be? Just like our lives, an imperfect perfection. 

I urge you, to read this book...and hope you'll like it just as much as I did.  

Comments