Dahi Fry



Yes, you heard it right...Dahi Fry.  

Almost 15 years back, when I heard this the first time, that too from my brother, I gave him this "you must be kidding; I mean, how is that even possible?! look". In return, my brother gave this annoyingly saintly smile and went on to show me how to fry dahi 

I remember those days vividly when on one of the rare occasions that my parents were out of town, we both would have the TV to ourselves and binge watched NBA games late into the night. And back then when ordering in was neither in fashion nor affordable,  my brother and I would experiment in the kitchen to dish out two standard dishes which we had perfected over time. Dahi Fry and Jeera Rice. Even back then, I was reasonably well versed with cooking, but these two dishes were my brother's masterpieces. No matter how hard I tried/experimented, I could never arrive at similar results as his "lets throw all the masalas into the pan" antics. And somehow, all his experiments would always be better than mine.  Over time, I gave up and leveraged his skills into convincing him to make these two dishes and relegate myself to just getting the table ready.  

 I made this dish once again yesterday in less than fifteen minutes and it brought back so many memories of those careless days, when such small things like this brought us so much joy and happiness.  

I made the easier - no potato fry version as I was short on time. But I recommend you try making it with the potatoes. 

Ingredients 
Makes for one - double the quantity as per requirement  

1 cup Dahi/ Yogurt 
2 tsp milk 
2 tsp oil 
1 large potato cubed 
1/2 tsp jeera (cumin) 
Masalas/Spices according to taste -  
Turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, salt and coriander powder 

Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and fry the potatoes till the skin turns crispy and the insides of the potato is cooked. Keep aside. In the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil and add jeera into it when the oil is hot. Once the cumin seeds splutter, add the yogurt and stir. You will see it thickening and the water seperating. Add milk to balance the consistency (thick or watery) of the gravy. Add all the spices into it as well as the fried potatoes and stir till the gravy thickens.  

Serve hot with plain rice/jeera rice. 

Comments