National Library Week!


I don't really believe much in dedicated "special" days like Teacher's day, Mother's day and so on. I am not against it....but neither am I for it. 

But a few days back when I was at the library, I saw the counter lined up with lots of fliers and a lot of other stationery. Initially I didn't pay much attention as I was struggling to juggle, 3 books, my wallet, phone and my backpack while trying to check out my books as quickly as possible as I had to rush. As I was chatting up with the librarian about the books, I asked her what the fliers were about and she told me about the National Library Week - April 8th - 14th that was being celebrated. There were events, talks and an entire calendar of events lined up for the week! But what she told me next was music to my ears. There they were, a line of bookmarks of different kinds for members to pick up. 

Now a little background to this. I have in the past collected innumerable bookmarks during my travel, when my family travels (I ask them to buy me bookmarks as souvenirs) and even from friends! They are rather very dear to me and I ended up forgetting to pack them back in India. So seeing these bookmarks brought back so many memories! I picked up one of every type and here they are...proudly displayed and never to be used :) 

Anyway, coming back to the topic, The National library week was started exactly 60 years back and has been celebrated every year here in America. What really is heartening to see is the state of the art facilities these libraries have. From a user friendly database to all the latest books in circulation to every type of media (CDs, DVDs, E books etc.) I could go on and on in their praise. If truly any "special" day deserves attention, I definitely think this day/week ranks top. If the likes of Valentine's day and Teacher's day are celebrated the way they are being celebrated across the world, a library day or week deserves much more wide adoption. 

                  

Before I end this post, I'd want to really thank the Santa Clara library for the endless line of books I get to read. Truly, it had made one of my dreams come true.


Comments