Recipe - Paneer Butter Masala

As children, my parents always took us to dinner at a restaurant once in a month. My brother and I looked forward to this meal anticipating all the north Indian dishes we would order for dinner. It was always one paneer based dish and one Potato based, paired with some butter naan and jeera rice! Just typing this out is making my mouth water.

While south Indian food is what I have eaten most of my life and is also my go to comfort food, north Indian food for me is indulgence! Having lived in Delhi for 2 years has also contributed to my heightened love for this cuisine. 

And so when I was searching for an easy and (relatively) healthy paneer dish, I landed on this post by Richa on My Food Story who had posted this rather deceivingly simple recipe of Paneer Butter Masala. I didn't quite believe it would be that easy to make a dish I for long believed was the result of some laborious hours in the kitchen.



 I was sold onto this recipe the first time I tried it out last year (Above Picture) and I have been making it ever since. The recipe is etched on to memory now, it is that easy! Do give it a try and I promise you'll surprise all your family and guests with this delicious and indulgent dish!

I have added the recipe below (with some of my own modifications) but all the credits go to Richa from My Food Story! Do visit her page for the original recipe. 

Ingredients:
(makes for 2- 3 people)

2 tbsp oil + 2 tbsp butter
250 gms Paneer cubes
1 bay leaf
7-8 peppercorns
1 small stick of cinnamon
2 cloves
2 pods cardamom
3 dried red chillies
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 large chopped onion
2-3 large tomatoes chopped
8-10 cashew nuts
1 tsp white poppy seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Chilli powder, garam masala and salt to taste
1 handful of kasuri methi dry roasted

In a large pan, heat the oil and 1 tbsp of butter. Once hot, add the dry spices (Cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon and peppercorn) and the red chillies. once they start to turn aromatic, add the cashew nuts and poppy seeds and the ginger garlic paste. Stir for 1-2 min and then add the onions. Cook till they turn translucent and then add the tomatoes. Add a little salt and stir. Cover with lid and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy. Let the mixture come to room temperature. Scoop out the bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves from the mixture. I leave the peppercorns in for a hint of spice. Transfer the mixture into a mixer and grind it to a smooth paste. 

In the same pan, heat the remaining butter and add the mixture to it. Add, chilli, turmeric and garam masala powder according to taste. Also add salt as per taste and a little water. Let the gravy simmer for 10 - 12 min till it starts to turn a little thick. Add the cubed paneer into it and toss gently. Cover and cook for another 3-4 min. Top it with the dry roasted and crushed Kasuri methi and serve hot. I skipped adding cream as I didn't have any but you could also add a tbsp of cream at the end, stir well and serve hot with Rice or Naan! 



Comments